Objective/Purpose of the Job:
The Production Planning and Control Manager ensures the optimal utilisation of production capacity is achieved by proper scheduling of equipment, production time and inventory levels. This role ensures that the Production team achieves production targets, optimum utilisation of resources, quality management and cost savings.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development of monthly and weekly production plans through the use of sales requirements, market growth projections and other business requirements, and any other projections required.
- Visiting production units daily to keep up to date with any event that may alter the execution of the production plan.
- Review inventories of raw materials, intermediate products, and finished products daily to monitor the use of such resources, the impact of their unexpected variations on the production plan and to support decision making.
- Verify that production and inventory reports are prepared and delivered on time, as established in conjunction with Factory Manager.
- According to the performance of the supply chain and other departments of the company:
a) Re-schedule the production plan
b) Request action plans
c) Follow up on action plans
d) Evaluate trends
e) Make projections
f) Perform root cause analysis of deviations
g) Request explanation of deviations from department managers.
- Hold weekly meetings with all Production Managers to:
a) Present production targets
b) Present trends and projections
c) Jointly evaluate causes of deviation from the production plan
d) Evaluate the effectiveness of action plans
e) Establish strategies to improve the performance of production units
- Prepare a monthly closure report that should contain:
a) Compliance with targets
b) Use of resources
c) Inventories and their movements
d) Status of action plans
e) Causes of over-compliance
f) Causes of non-compliance
h) Recommendations and requirements as applicable.
- Process production-related information required by the cost accounting department.
Academic/Technical/Management: Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Industrial Engineering or Chemical Engineering.
- Minimum of four (4) years experience in production planning.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience as a Production Manager (preferable but not limited).
- At least two (2) years experience in Warehouse Management
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of supply chain
Abilities; Skills; Experience; Aptitude and Judgement:
- Production Processes and mass balances
- Design of Industrial Production Planning Programmes
- Production Supervision and Control
- Preparation of Statistical Reports
- Inventory Management
- Preparation of Budgets and Budget reports
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal and people skills
- Analytical and numerical skills.
Other Personal or General Characteristics:
- Team building and leadership skills.
- People management skills.
- Listening skills.
External Contacts (Level):
- Utility companies and relevant Government agencies.