Objective/Purpose of the Job:
The Plant Manager is responsible for effectively managing the assigned Plant(s) to ensure its(their) efficient operation. The Plant Shift Manager monitors and controls elements such as quality, cost of production, food safety, material consumption, continuous improvement, productivity, staff development, and compliance with the production plan, thus supporting the sustained growth of the company.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in the design and implementation of the company's growth and continuous improvement strategies.
- Conduct and actively support essential people management activities to facilitate employee engagement, productivity, growth, and development.
- Constantly monitor, improve and control:
- Quality and productivity, through the critical variables of control for the production process and by mitigating risks that threaten to reduce quality and productivity.
- Efficiency through full compliance with protocols related to starts, stops, and preventive maintenance, as well as to control the consumption and loss of materials according to the pre-established recipes and the maximum allowed ranges of variation for each of them.
- Effectiveness of operations through the reduction of lost time and the control of productivity according to the installed capacity.
- Coordinate the transfer of materials (raw materials, additives, packing materials, finished goods) between the production plant and other departments safely and accurately, and within established timelines.
- Ensure compliance with established procedures relating to quality control, and food safety.
- Ensure full compliance with all applicable OSHE regulatory and legal requirements as communicated by the Safety Team.
- Identify, address and report safety risks and hazards in the appropriate and established manner, and actively participate in safety programmes.
- Submit written reports as required (per shift, daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly or at any other frequency requested), referring to materials consumption, quality, productivity, loss of time and compliance with the production plan and other variables of interest to demonstrate the performance of its production plant(s).
- Coordinate with the Engineering Team (management) on the execution of preventive and corrective maintenance, monitoring the speed of response and the effectiveness of the activities.
- Actively participate in activities related to product performance, quality, food safety, manufacturing, and raw materials, such as analysis of new developments (customer complaints, quality and/or safety deviations), plant improvement projects (equipment modifications or substitution, changes in operating variables), evaluation of alternative raw materials and expansion and improvement projects.
- Actively participate in audits related to the manufacturing process.
- Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner, and free from hazards as stipulated by the following regulations: · SEPROD Group Health and Safety Regulations · Caribbean Products’ Health and Safety Regulations · Food Safety & Security Certification Standards · HACCP/GMP programme guidelines
- Ensure proper completion of GMP records to include: · Completion of all relevant sections · Signing of relevant documents · Evidence of corrective action taken (documented).
- Provide the required information for the calculation of the annual budget and monitor its use.
Academic/Technical/Management: Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Chemical Engineering, Food Technologist, or similar profession from an accredited institution.
- Professional training and experience in a manufacturing/processing-related environment or production plant.
- Minimum of three (3) years of management experience, preferably in a similar role in the Oils and Fats Industry.
- Training in Oils and Fats would be an asset.
Abilities; Skills; Experience; Aptitude and Judgement:
- Production Management
- Inventory Management
- Ability to Lead, guide, and hold others accountable
- Good communication skills, written and oral
- Good interpersonal and people skills
- Knowledge of relevant regulations and standards including HAACP, GMP, and FSSC
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word and Excel
Other Personal or General Characteristics:
- Team building and leadership skills.
- People management skills.
- Comfortable working in an environment where ideas are shared and challenged.
- Listening skills.
External Contacts (Level):
- Local and overseas suppliers of materials and machinery
- Internal customers and suppliers
- Local and overseas services contractors
- Relevant Government agencies