Objective/Purpose of the Job:
Support the engineering function of the company with the installation, maintenance and repairs of all types of plant machinery and equipment used by the company.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Service, install, repair, and test all plant machinery / equipment to include vacuum systems, pumps, packaging equipment, processing equipment, air compressors, boilers, gearboxes, valves, conveyors, heat exchangers, cooling towers etc
- Identify and diagnose mechanical problems in plant machinery and equipment; make decisions for the appropriate corrective measures, and carry out the repairs.
- Disassemble, repair, fit parts as required, and reassemble machinery / equipment consistent with established standards.
- Repair, replace and install piping for plant equipment.
- Perform testing and commissioning of new plant machinery and equipment installations.
- Interpret all types of mechanical diagrams, as well as basic electrical and instrument drawings with minimal assistance from the supervisor or engineer and relate these in expediting assigned tasks.
- Test run plant machinery where applicable and make adjustments for proper mechanical function.
- Make minor mechanical parts as required in order to expedite job completion.
- Operate and maintain the ammonia refrigeration plant equipment where applicable.
- Prepare written reports for mechanical jobs done on respective shift; to include log reports and filling out work order sheets.
- Support the planning of the maintenance activities for mechanical equipment.
- Assist in implementing modifications to plant machinery and equipment to meet the changing production requirements.
- Communicate to relieving shift maintenance technician the status of mechanical jobs from previous shift.
- Maintain and secure all tools assigned for the execution of job function.
- Participate in Food Safety and Security activities when required, and perform good housekeeping on all jobs assigned.
- Work in conjunction with artisan, helper or trainee on job assignments, and assist other members of the engineering team where required.
- Perform any other related duties assigned.
Academic/Technical/Management: Experience and Qualifications:
- Diploma or equivalent in mechanical engineering / technology from an accredited institution.
- One (1) year working experience as a mechanical technician within the manufacturing industry.
Abilities; Skills; Experience; Aptitude and Judgement:
- Ability to interpret mechanical and machinery diagrams.
- Ability to basic oxy-acetylene welding.
- Ability to do basic machinist work to include use of the Lathe, Shaper, and the Drill Press.
- Ability to use hand tools such as wrenches, spanners, screwdrivers, drills etc and hydraulic tools such as presses, sockets etc.
Other Personal or General Characteristics:
- Detail oriented.
- Good use of initiative and decision making skills.
- Ability to work in teams.
- Good time management and multi tasking skills.
External Contacts (Level):