Objective/Purpose of the Job:
Support the engineering function of the company with the installation, maintenance and repairs of all types of instrumentation equipment used by the company.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Service, install, repair, test and calibrate electronic, mechanical and pneumatic instruments, such as, flow meters, scales, date code printers, gauges, transmitters, controllers, switches, regulators etc.
- Install, service, repair and test the instrumentation component of plant machinery and equipment such as, packaging equipment, processing equipment, air compressors, boilers, etc.
- Identify and diagnose instrumentation problems in plant machinery and equipment; make decisions for the appropriate corrective measures, and carry out the repairs.
- Install and repair piping, conduits, tubing and wiring for instrumentation equipment.
- Perform testing and commissioning of new instrumentation installations.
- Interpret all types of instrument and electronic drawings, as well as basic mechanical and electrical drawings, with minimal assistance from the supervisor or engineer and relate these in expediting assigned tasks.
- Inspect and diagnose problems with instrumentation systems using various types of measurement and calibration devices, multi-meters, instrument communicators etc.
- Diagnose and correct faults in simple electronic circuits.
- Prepare written reports for the instrumentation jobs done on the respective shift; to include log reports and filling out work order sheets.
- Support the planning of maintenance activities for instrumentation equipment.
- Assist in implementing modifications to plant instrumentation to meet the changing production requirements.
- Communicate to relieving shift maintenance technician the status of instrumentation jobs from previous shift.
- Maintain and secure all tools assigned for the execution of job function.
- Participate in Food Safety and Security activities when required, and perform good housekeeping on all jobs assigned.
- Work in conjunction with artisan, helper or trainee on job assignments, and assist other members of the engineering team where required.
- Perform any other related duties assigned.
Academic/Technical/Management: Experience and Qualifications:
- Diploma or equivalent in instrumentation engineering / technology from an accredited institution.
- Minimum one (1) year working experience as an instrumentation technician within the manufacturing industry.
Abilities; Skills; Experience; Aptitude and Judgement:
- Ability to interpret electronic, instrument and related electrical diagrams.
- Ability to work with microprocessors / PLC systems.
- Ability to use hand tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers, drills etc
- Computer literacy.
Other Personal or General Characteristics:
- Detail oriented.
- Good use of initiative and decision making skills.
- Ability to work in teams.
- Good time management and multi tasking skills.