Responsible for supervision of manpower and resources attributed to the farm and implementation of production strategies to maximize efficiency and profitability so as to ensure KPI’s are met. Assist the Farm Manager, in coordinating the daily operational activities of the farm, including milking operations, animal health, pasture maintenance and record keeping.
KEY RESULTS AREAS:
- Effective management of all aspects of the milking process and related operational activities to include:
• Ensuring that proper milking and sanitization procedures are maintained.
• Ensuring milking and cooling equipment are maintained in reasonable condition.
• Proper recording of milk weights as per schedule.
• Ensuring consistent high quality of the milk produced
- See to the care of the animal through scheduling and executing standard animal husbandry practices for identification, parasite and tick infestation, de-horning, hoof care, “heat detection and artificial insemination etc.
- Maintain pastures/pens to ensure adequate fencing, grazing cycle is being observed, access to reliable clean water supply in troughs and waste mitigation done.
- Maintain a daily record of activities and events on the farm; prepare all reports for submission in keeping with STO to include missing animals, feed receipts, usage and balance.
- Perform human resource related functions for the scheduling, training, disciplining, and performance evaluation of supervised manpower, to include task workers.
- Keep log/inventory of all building material, veterinary, cleaning and sanitising supplies, feeds, etc are ordered, in storage and distributed for the daily operation of the farm. Control the distribution of drugs and chemicals.
- Maintain a count of all animals daily, ensuring that information pertaining to births, deaths, sales, transfers, illnesses and treatment are readily available including accurate cattle weights and sales documents.
- Participate in housekeeping, food safety, and general safety initiatives as required by the Company.
- Perform any other related duties consistent with the position as required by management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc in Animal Science or Associate Degree Animal Science
- Training in Supervisory Management.
- Experience in supervising and coordinating labour management.
- At least one (2) year experience working on a commercial agricultural operation specifically focused on animal husbandry or dairy industry.